The Emerging Leaders (EL) Program has evolved along similar lines to our Fellowship Program, but with some key differences:
- It targets a different professional group.*
- The emphasis is on knowledge sharing and networking rather than mentoring (although we do provide the latter in group environments).
- Participation isn't merit-based. Rather, it's open to all who fit the age/experience criteria, and who work for an RA member organisation.
Our events across Australia bring together hundreds of young and emerging leaders to share ideas, experiences and solutions, and to hear from current leaders about the challenges of 'stepping up' to the next level.
If you're interested in upcoming events and being part of this Program, contact our Admin and Program Coordinator, Prue Northey.
* Specifically those with 10-or-less years' industry experience, or under the age of 35
- to provide opportunities for our emerging leaders to improve their networking skills;
- to hear from industry leaders regarding new trends or industry innovations;
- to broaden knowledge and understanding of career opportunities and options in the industry;
- to encourage diversity in the industry and deliver on our commitment to foster young talent;
- to further entrench the 'giving back' philosophy among members, including from our Fellows who support the Emerging Leaders as part of their Fellowship;
- to add value to RA membership by increasing the depth of our engagement within our members' organisations (as opposed to only engaging with senior management);
'PPP' Award - Promise, Passion and Pursuit
To support the development of young leaders in our industry, RA offers the opportunity for one emerging leader annually to engage in a 12-month industry exposure and ambassador experience.
This is a fantastic opportunity to observe and understand how leaders interact and make decisions, and to play an integral role in the growth and development of the Emerging Leaders Program.
The successful applicant will have access to a range of unique and invaluable opportunities over 12 months:
- complimentary access to all RA indsutry events ('Golden Ticket')
- complimentary attendance at exclusive RA boardroom events, with exposure to other CEOs and influential leaders from the public and private sectors (including some travel where necessary);
- actively contribute to Emerging Leaders events, including speaking and facilitating;
- observer position on our Fellowship Council, contributing to the growth and development of the Future Leaders Programs;
- observer position on the D&I Committee to represent Emerging Leaders
- ability to engage in some Fellowship activities; incuding leadership roundtables and the research project.
Our 2019 PPP Award winner, Verity Williams, is an engineer who has worked across South and Western Australia on various roads, structures and traffic jobs. In all of her roles, she has driven not only high project performance, but also additional value to employees, the community and industry.
This includes supporting mental health, engaging women in STEM, mentoring and engaging indigenous youth, and volunteering time for first aid, social committees, graduate development and safety enhancement.
In addition, Verity has won an engineering excellence award through Curtin University, and a scholarship through Main Roads WA to attend the World Conference on Timber Engineering through her thesis work.
Not only does Verity commit to her employer's own young professionals program, she is actively seeking ways to enhance Roads Australia’s EL Program and drive opportunities for emerging leaders on the west coast.
Verity will not only bring passion, promise and pursuit to the role of Roads Australia’s EL Ambassador, she will also endeavour to enhance the opportunities for our industry young professionals.
The Promise, Passion and Pursuit (PPP) Award is proudly sponsored by Transport for NSW.
2020 Emerging Leaders Program
Roads Australia is proud to host a stellar 2020 EL Program, providing participants with mentoring sessions and exclusive breakfast and networking events.
To view all upcoming opportunities, head to our events page.
You can also register to receive our Future Leaders newsletter by contacting Prue Northey.